Learn how to write a job description
All formal and regulated work must have a job description template that works to categorizing and organizing the role of each position.
The job description is a document that contains all the information you need – in detail – about what each job is about.
Therefore, it contains all the attributions, requirements and how daily routine would be in each job.
In this way, any employee who starts performing in a certain position has in this document – that can be a job description form – the entire structure of its activities and responsibilities.
But whoever thinks that this document is made once and stored in some file by the company is mistaken.
Knowing how to do a job description is a dynamic activity.
The documentation of a job description should be updated whenever necessary. This happens due to the evolution of the company, while the company undergoes changes, requirements of the positions also follow the same line.
HR professionals should consider the creation and update of this document as one of the most important processes to carry out in their daily activities.
Having a job description template can help a lot in HR processes.
How should a job description model be developed?
The job description model must be carried out – obviously – before the processes of the companies begin to roll. Many companies are still adapting to the idea of this model. This is because it is necessary that HR managers, leaders and professionals have knowledge about what each officer should do in order to understand and monitor the performance of each position.
However, it is not only in these cases that the job description models work. There are 3 crucial points that a well-described position can be at utmost use for the company. Every valuable company goes through an audit, which is responsible for verifying the quality of the services provided. From the moment in which the model of job description is well developed it is possible to make a simplified analysis of the company. Another point occurs at the time of recruitment and selection is that the company can find a partner that fits the profile they need. This will allow the training and talent retention to be easier. And finally, from a model of job descriptions we can make a better skills analysis, because the company has already documented what is expected by the employee and depending on the position can be followed up.
All these points lead to a good functioning of internal processes, giving a very significant hand for the company to be successful. This set of factors reduces the company’s retention rate. The more support a collaborator has, the lower the dropout rate gets. Also, with the job description model it is possible to create specific trainings, helping the collaborator to improve and trust more in his work.
Learn how to structure a job description model
A job description model is not just a document full of words explaining what each position is and what its functions are. There is a variety of descriptions that are fundamental to the structuring of this document
- Identification: This is to assign a category to the position, at this point it is necessary that the name of the position be correctly written;
- Organization chart: The hierarchical structure of the positions must be defined, as well as to what level the position belongs. In this way, the employee has a clear knowledge regarding who is their direct superior;
- Mission: Every position, in addition to its functions, requires the employee to undertake it, for this it is important to be clear about the objectives of the position;
- Activities: This description involves the functions that the collaborator must perform. So that it would be clear what should be done in the position, how it should be done and why;
- Experiences: Each position demands a previous experience. So, it should be written in the model which are the necessary experiences. With this information, you can identify how much time and what experiences a collaborator must have before taking office;
- Academic training: Before undertaking the position, an employee must have intellectual support. The minimum degree of training that a collaborator must have to perform in a certain area should be defined;
- Competencies: What are the competences that the collaborator must have to enter the company. The more detailed the level of competition, the better. We can have better selection criteria during the recruitment stage;
- Compulsory training: The document must stipulate the trainings the collaborator needs while undertaking the position, for him/her to perform the activities better.
Job description model
To better understand how to make a job description model, let’s look at this example:
- Position: marketing manager;
- Mission: to guarantee that the flow of tactics and operations of the marketing team are developed in an efficient way;
- Activities: ensure compliance with the team’s goals, be attentive to the needs of the area and each of the collaborators to achieve the goal;
- Training: Preferably: postgraduate in marketing or related areas.
Minimum: undergraduate completed in marketing or related areas;
- Experience: minimum of three (03) years as marketing manager.
It is important to remember that each job description is unique, since each position has its own description. Also, do not forget that the description of positions is very effective to identify which are the necessary processes to determine the daily work of each employee in that position. Therefore, it is essential that the person in charge of preparing the job description is always up to date with the company’s strategies and its evolution in the market.